Ashdod was born in the 17th century B.C. as a fortified Canaanite city where Tel Ashdod currently stands. After the invasion of the Sea People and destruction of the city in the 14th century B.C., the Philistines settle there and develop into one of the five most important cities in their kingdom. During the Israeli period, 600-1200 B.C., Ashdod was partially held by the Tribe of Judah, which failed to conquer it from the Philistines, and it is first mentioned in the Book of Joshua. After it was built and fortified, Ashdod was crowned the splendid capital of Philistia, until it was conquered by Uzziah in the early 8th century B.C. The Tel Mor Fortress was built during this period, at the mouth of the Lachish River and the city is conquered and completely demolished by Sargon II. During the Babylonian and Persian era, the city is rebuilt and, upon the Return to Zion in the days of Ezra and Nehemiah, it develops a Jewish settlement within the Kingdom of Judah.
In the early 4th century, the city succumbs to the military campaign conducted by Alexander the Great and, from this point on, the city is known as "Azotus". During the Hellenistic Era, Ashdod is ruled by the Greeks and then by the Hasmonean kingdom, until it is conquered by the Romans, who destroy the city. From this point and until the land is conquered by the Turks and Ottoman Empire established, there is no reference to Ashdod. The Turks established "Isdud", a large Arab village, and "Al Suchrir", a settlement that served as a station for transporting merchandise. Under British rule, "Isdud" becomes an important city on the sea route and a railroad station is built nearby, serving the Lydda-Gaza-Egypt line. During the struggle for Jewish settlement and declaration of Independence, the Ad Halom Bridge was bombed, pushing the Egyptian army back at Ashdod's southern border, leading to the desertion and destruction of the Arab "Isdud".