Ashdod, Then and Now
Ashdod first appeared in the 17th century BC as a fortified Canaanite city in today’s Tel-Ashdod region. Throughout history, Ashdod is mentioned as a Philistine city and later a city on the land of the tribe of Judah. Ashdod was always a port city. Uziahu conquered the city in the 8th century BC and it was later conquered by Sargon II (Assyria), Nebuchadnezzar (Babylon) and the Kingdom of Persia. The Greeks named it Azotus and the Romans called it Azotus Paraliyus (Ashdod-Seashore). Ashdod is mentioned in Ugaritic certificates, on a clay tablet from the days of Sargon II, in Egyptian certificates and the Midba Map. Historical remnants remain of Kalat Al-Mina (the Port Fortress), a burial site of the Roman-Byzantine period and Tel Mor north of the new city, Tel Ashdod to the south and the reconstructed Mamluk bridge at the Ad Halom Interchange.
Modern Ashdod was founded in 1956, along the Lakhish stream estuary, and it was intended to be a large port city. The city rests upon flat terrain on an important crossroad. The city’s jurisdictions covers approximately 12.5K acres divided into 17 residential quarters, the Kirya quarter in the city’s center, the special quarter and 3 industrial zones, among the most important in Israel. The city’s planning separates the industrial zones from the residential areas, promoting values of environmental protection and sustainability. Ashdod offers quality municipal services, a large employment array and metropolitan center. Its convenient climate, geographical location and meticulous urban planning render it among the most attractive cities in Israel.